Thursday 15 October 2009

GO FONT UR SELF


I was starting to wonder if design exhibitions existed in Sydney, now with two in two weeks I'm excited. Tonight was Go Font Ur Self at the Peer Gallery in Glebe. To start with it reminded me of a exhibition I went to run by the Typographic Circle in the UK. The difference is Sydney is graphic design/typography exhibition starved (someone please prove me wrong), so every Tom, Dick and designer was there.

Excitingly one of the typeworks 'say it with flowers' (image below) was by Jessica Hische who got a mention just 3 posts ago with her Daily Drop Cap project. Her work is amazing, so I will have to keep an eye out for a piece to decorate my wall with.

The second type event that I am excited about, but can't make it to is Some Type of Wonderful. Hopefully someone will go along and take some photos and tell me all about it.

Following on the type them. I was doing some googling today and read about the Australian Type Club which seems to exist only in a couple of forum threads in last 2008. Hopefully it reappears in the near future to be something like the Typographic Circle, Type Directors New York or Tokyo. Maybe then we will have a chance to get a design museum like in London or Breda.

Anyway, hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. Sydney could do with some design culture, not just designer markets.


Japanese calligraphy made to order


Lots of people in a small (awesome) space. DJ's on the staircase. Cold beers at the bar and sausages on the BBQ.


Jessica Hische, Say it with Flowers



Dave the Chimp, Amazing living wigs


Brett Stenson, Grue



From the outside in

No comments: